Monday, December 13, 2010

The Lord Works


I cannot stop thinking about how the Lord works in mysterious ways. He is undoubtedly in control. Today at work I encountered the author of a book that changed my view on marriage. I read the book early this year, in February I believe. The book Get Married is about marriage and what single women can do to get prepared for marriage. After reading the book I finally felt at peace about my strong desire to be a wife and mother. Her premise in the book is that it is a good and natural thing to desire marriage, because God put that in our hearts. Most people get married, and it was part of God's plan to be married and be fruitful and multiply. It is not a bad thing to desire marriage if you are single. That book was the beginning of God working in my heart and preparing me to be a wife. I met the author, Candice Watters, when she was at the seminary talking about the book earlier this year. Today I saw her again, and I was surprised to learn that her husband just took a job at the seminary and they moved their family here. When I met her before I thanked her for writing the book and I shared a little of my story. Today I didn't get the chance to tell her that I am now engaged, and I am ready to 'get married'.

Thinking about this year is very surreal to me. My prayers have finally been answered. I have prayed for a husband that would love the Lord, love me and desire to be a father. God knew what He was doing when He brought me back to the seminary. He also knew what He was doing when He brought Steven Dresen to seminary and also put us in the same church. All I could do to prepare for marriage as a single woman was pray and seek God's wisdom. God continues to sanctify me and I have felt His presence as I have studied what the Bible says about marriage and family. His grace is more than I deserve. I prayed for a godly husband and he exceeds all of my expectations. I pray that I never take him for granted but always honor and respect him. God has blessed us with an opportunity to live out the gospel daily in our relationship and we seek to honor Him in that.

If you are single and lonely and wondering if you will ever get married please remember that God is in control. He will bring that person in His timing. He will bring you together in a way that honors Him. He will teach you as you go, and He will never leave you anxious on the journey. He brings us peace and all wisdom and understanding. Never stop praying. God knows what He is doing!!

No comments: