Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Marriage and Ministry

Sometimes I do not know what to say. I have a lot on my mind, not all of which needs to be shared with the world. Right now I am remembering a conversation that I had with my teenage girls at camp last year. We talked about ministry, and if we are called into full time ministry does that mean we should marry a man called to ministry? I think I had asked myself that very question before. I came to the conclusion that we probably should. But is that a command? Could I marry a man who had no desire to do ministry? We all minister as Christians, but I mean full time, devoted-to-for-life ministry. This is my calling, and I think it would be difficult to be a helper to a man not called to ministry.

1 Timothy tells us that an elder, or overseer, must be a man who is above reproach, the husband of one wife, and a man that manages his family with dignity (1 Tim 3). He must not be a recent convert and he must be well thought of by outsiders. If you were to be a wife of a man like this, wouldn't you also be expected to share in these qualities? I think, and do not know from experience, that marriages that are successful are successful because they have the same goal in life-to glorify God with their marriage. It makes sense to spend the rest of your life with a person that has similar goals and desires.

One of the girls in the group that asked that question is now engaged. She is a missionary and a woman who fears God. I am a lot older than her, but I think it's great that she has found a man to share in ministry and life. How cool is that? I know there is a time for everything...and I am trusting in God's perfect plan for my life. Jesus has not failed me yet, nor will He!

No comments: